Saturday 17 June 2017

Start of Season Social June 9th - 15th 2017 PART THREE

Day 4 – Blazing Sun 


We managed to get a couple of hours sleep this time and when we woke it was already around 12 degrees and really warm. I knew it was going to become a scorcher and very hot very quick. This means the fishing will become hard and the fish up in the water. Its sometimes possible to get them off the surface in conditions like this but it became so hot everyone was trying but nothing showed any interest at all. We tried everything to get them to get their heads down and fished it really hard for the entire day but it wasn't until it started to get dark and cool down that the bites came and I managed a couple more fish along with John who also managed another 2. We then started scattering boilies all over the swim as we went into the night and we switched from singles to using snowmen , wafters and stringers. This switch seemed to work and we managed a few more through the night as we went into the next day.
Day 5 – The Final Day.

Due to the lake having a 72 hour rule for any swim so any angler who takes a swim must change swims and allow other members access after the 72 hour mark. I was very luck and the lake owner allowed us an extra day as we were on the fish but then as it quietened down it was time to move to another down the other end of the lake but along the same bank. It was like we had to start from scratch so again I made up some spod and set up a baited area around the middle of the lake and myself and John fished just off the edge of that area. Unfortunately it was again extremely hot and the sun was blazing. No matter how many times we tried to get them up on the top we couldn't get them up, we weren't the only ones as there were others trying with out success. Again as it started to cool own and come into evening both myself and John did eventually get some action for the day and the reward for all our hard work. John landed another 2 and myself with another 2 both just touching double figures. The lake then went dead and silent for the entire evening and it looked like all the other carpers all went to be early as by 11.30 all the bivvy's were shut up tight and not a person in sight.

Day 6 – Time to go home.

What an alarm call, 1am in the morning of the day we are leaving and the rod screamed off. I rushed out of the bivvy and struck into what at first felt like a massive fish that was fighting as hard as it could. It wasn't till I got it in I found out it had 3 rigs stuck in his mouth and ball of line around the rigs that if untangled must have been at least 100 meters and about half a ton of week trapped within it. The poor thing must have been towing that lot around for a while by the looks of it. I managed to get all the rigs out and then treated all the wounds and I really think the carp was grateful as it was so well behaved and just lay there still and let me do what I had to to get it free of the mess. John also managed another one in the morning just before we went home. He picked the rod up because he saw his line twitching but no alarm and when he lifted into the fish he was surprised to find himself attached. I managed another one at 5am and then my final fish came around 9.30am.

What an amazing fishing session we had to start the season of with a bang. I managed to finish on 25 fish and John finished on 16 with Big Ron on 3. That's a 44 fish haul over the 5 day period which is amazing to start off the year and I can't wait for our next adventures.

Wet Nets & Tight Lines