Wednesday 8 May 2013

Fishing Hendre Lake – Monday 6th May

by …..Martyn Russ a.k.a. VooDoo

After such a lovely holiday and great fishing i was missing it as soon as i got back so decided to take my chances at my local lake Hendre, in Cardiff. The bank holiday Monday turned out to be a scorcher with the sun blazing and the winds calm i made sure i set up my day bivi and stayed out of the sun as last time on holiday i was so busy catching fish i didn’t realise i had cooked my left forearm and ended up with blisters and now the skin is all peeling away.

Three rods out at hendre lake         All set up at Hendre Lake

I had decided on using my 15mm Halibut Boilies with Hemp and Halibut ground Bait and a Halibut Flavour enhancer and bait dip. I also soaked the hook Boilies over 2 nights to make sure they gave off a lot of attraction. I set one rod up with a silk core leader running down to a 1oz weight on a lead safety clip with 6lb Fluorocarbon hook length to a size 8 with a hook aligner. I hair rigged a snowman setup with the halibut at the bottom and a fluorescent pink pop-up. This was clipped into a PVA sack filled with Halibut Boilies and Ground Bait.

IMG00240-20130502-0947         View from Swim at hendre lake

The second rod i set up on a zig rig system after plummeting the depth and found the swim to be 5ft depth so i set the zig at 3ft to see if the Carp were cruising due to the warm weather. The 3rd Rod i started out with a standard Chod Rig again with the fluorocarbon fishing line but eventually changed to a standard bottom bait rig with 4 peace's of tuti-fruity corn hair rigged on it. This little rig is what caught me a nice Bream around 1lb 1/2 to 2lb in weight. Unfortunately it was the only fish of the day as they didn’t seem to want to play. A few other fishermen were bagging in some nice Bream on the Waggler and a young lad managed to hook a nice little Carp just in the Reeds but apart from that the lake was very quiet.

Wet Nets & Tight Lines….