Tuesday 14 May 2013

Peterstone Lakes, 7th May 2013

by ……. Trish Lloyd

Peterstone lakes          Peterstone lakes

Another hot sunny day forecast, so Bri and I decide to go spend the day fishing at Peterstone Lakes. Normally I fish the Pencil Lake as it has a good peg for my wheelchair, but on this occasion my peg was taken, so moved across to Swan Lake, close to where the pair of swans were nesting. Its never easy to fish an unfamiliar venue, and as the day was warming up rapidly you could see lots of fish already topping.

fat bream


Using my Hyperactive pole with the Italian rig I used in Cornwall. I started fishing on the bottom, using Red Maggot as that was all they had. Wasn't too happy as I find I get better results there with white or a mix of colours. Fished a bunch on the hook (4) and got some nice sized bream early on. Plus loads of small roach.
As the day got hotter the bites got fewer, but got a couple by trying a bit of Tutti fruity sweet corn with 2 red maggots. And coming up in the water a few inches.
Strangely no-one else was catching on the bottom.

Brian's success on the Bread
Brian too started on the Pole, his usual Rhythm Stick. And caught a couple of Roach a skimmer and a reasonable Bream. Then hooked into a massive carp and couldn't hold it on the pole so switched to the Assassin and Bread. Missed a couple frustratingly but eventually hooked into and landed a good sized carp. Not long after I started feeling icky from the sun and heat, so we packed up early.